Assignment
1- Media and Production Log
Data form 1- Media
and production Table
Date of Log
|
Media Used
|
Production (Times of use)
|
Duration (Minutes)
|
Wednesday
August 1st 2012
Day 1
|
Television
(News)
|
2
|
90
|
Television (Entertainment)
|
-
|
-
|
|
Facebook
|
4
|
60
|
|
Internet Shopping
|
2
|
75
|
|
Twitter
|
-
|
-
|
|
Email
|
1
|
5
|
|
Phone Calls
|
1
|
13
|
|
Texting
|
12
|
24
|
|
Radio
|
2
|
120
|
|
Itunes
|
-
|
-
|
|
Uq Website
|
3
|
40
|
|
Online News/ Academic Websites
|
1
|
15
|
|
Work Computer
|
-
|
-
|
|
Thursday
August 2nd 2012
Day 2
|
Television
(News)
|
1
|
60
|
Television (Entertainment)
|
-
|
-
|
|
Facebook
|
2
|
30
|
|
Internet Shopping
|
-
|
-
|
|
Twitter
|
-
|
-
|
|
Email
|
2
|
10
|
|
Phone Calls
|
3
|
26
|
|
Texting
|
4
|
8
|
|
Radio
|
2
|
120
|
|
Itunes
|
-
|
-
|
|
Uq Website
|
1
|
5
|
|
Online News/ Academic Websites
|
-
|
-
|
|
Work Computer
|
22
|
66
|
|
Friday
August 3rd 2012
Day 3
|
Television
(News)
|
2
|
120
|
Television (Entertainment)
|
1
|
150
|
|
Facebook
|
-
|
-
|
|
Internet Shopping
|
-
|
-
|
|
Twitter
|
-
|
-
|
|
Email
|
-
|
-
|
|
Phone Calls
|
1
|
30
|
|
Texting
|
15
|
30
|
|
Radio
|
4
|
140
|
|
Itunes
|
-
|
-
|
|
Uq Website
|
2
|
30
|
|
Online News/ Academic Websites
|
4
|
75
|
|
Work Computer
|
-
|
-
|
|
Saturday
August 4th 2012
Day 4
|
Television
(News)
|
-
|
-
|
Television (Entertainment)
|
-
|
-
|
|
Facebook
|
1
|
10
|
|
Internet Shopping
|
-
|
-
|
|
Twitter
|
-
|
-
|
|
Email
|
-
|
-
|
|
Phone Calls
|
-
|
-
|
|
Texting
|
26
|
52
|
|
Radio
|
1
|
15
|
|
Itunes
|
1
|
20
|
|
Uq Website
|
-
|
-
|
|
Online News/ Academic Websites
|
1
|
15
|
|
Work Computer
|
-
|
-
|
|
Sunday
August 5th 2012
Day 5
|
Television
(News)
|
2
|
100
|
Television (Entertainment)
|
-
|
-
|
|
Facebook
|
3
|
50
|
|
Internet Shopping
|
1
|
20
|
|
Twitter
|
-
|
-
|
|
Email
|
1
|
15
|
|
Phone Calls
|
-
|
-
|
|
Texting
|
2
|
4
|
|
Radio
|
2
|
120
|
|
Itunes
|
-
|
-
|
|
Uq Website
|
1
|
5
|
|
Online News/ Academic Websites
|
-
|
-
|
|
Work Computer
|
38
|
114
|
|
Monday August
6th 2012
Day 6
|
Television
(News)
|
3
|
110
|
Television (Entertainment)
|
1
|
30
|
|
Facebook
|
2
|
40
|
|
Internet Shopping
|
1
|
30
|
|
Twitter
|
1
|
35
|
|
Email
|
1
|
10
|
|
Phone Calls
|
1
|
2
|
|
Texting
|
7
|
14
|
|
Radio
|
2
|
120
|
|
Itunes
|
-
|
-
|
|
Uq Website
|
1
|
25
|
|
Online News/ Academic Websites
|
1
|
40
|
|
Work Computer
|
27
|
81
|
|
Tuesday
August 7th 2012
Day 7
|
Television
(News)
|
3
|
150
|
Television (Entertainment)
|
-
|
-
|
|
Facebook
|
-
|
-
|
|
Internet Shopping
|
-
|
-
|
|
Twitter
|
1
|
30
|
|
Email
|
2
|
25
|
|
Phone Calls
|
1
|
46
|
|
Texting
|
19
|
38
|
|
Radio
|
2
|
120
|
|
Itunes
|
-
|
-
|
|
Uq Website
|
4
|
40
|
|
Online News/ Academic Websites
|
3
|
110
|
|
Work Computer
|
-
|
-
|
|
Wednesday
August 8th 2012
Day 8
|
Television
(News)
|
4
|
200
|
Television (Entertainment)
|
3
|
215
|
|
Facebook
|
2
|
15
|
|
Internet Shopping
|
-
|
-
|
|
Twitter
|
2
|
15
|
|
Email
|
-
|
-
|
|
Phone Calls
|
-
|
-
|
|
Texting
|
5
|
10
|
|
Radio
|
2
|
120
|
|
Itunes
|
2
|
50
|
|
Uq Website
|
-
|
-
|
|
Online News/ Academic Websites
|
1
|
5
|
|
Work Computer
|
-
|
-
|
|
Thursday
August 9th 2012
Day 9
|
Television
(News)
|
1
|
30
|
Television (Entertainment)
|
2
|
45
|
|
Facebook
|
-
|
-
|
|
Internet Shopping
|
1
|
10
|
|
Twitter
|
1
|
30
|
|
Email
|
1
|
5
|
|
Phone Calls
|
3
|
64
|
|
Texting
|
9
|
18
|
|
Radio
|
3
|
160
|
|
Itunes
|
1
|
25
|
|
Uq Website
|
1
|
5
|
|
Online News/ Academic Websites
|
1
|
30
|
|
Work Computer
|
32
|
96
|
|
Friday August
10th 2012
Day 10
|
Television
(News)
|
4
|
250
|
Television (Entertainment)
|
3
|
300
|
|
Facebook
|
1
|
40
|
|
Internet Shopping
|
4
|
50
|
|
Twitter
|
1
|
5
|
|
Email
|
1
|
15
|
|
Phone Calls
|
4
|
62
|
|
Texting
|
23
|
46
|
|
Radio
|
-
|
-
|
|
Itunes
|
-
|
-
|
|
Uq Website
|
-
|
-
|
|
Online News/ Academic Websites
|
2
|
25
|
|
Work Computer
|
-
|
-
|
Data Form 2 Bar Graph-
Media Usage Graph (In Minutes).
Data Form 3 Pie
Graph- Total Media time record (In hours)
Along with my own
personal data collection, this log analysis uses information provided by the
Semester 2 2012 Jour1111 Student Survey
Television News:
Over the 10 Day period I spent a total of 18.5 hours watching the news/ news
related television programs (like 10 news and 7pm project). My general
production use of this media was 2, which occurred because I put the news on in
the mornings as I got ready for my day, and I regularly tune into the 7pm
project of an evening. I find it really important to be aware of the greater
community and what’s going on in the world as well as find it very interesting,
so I place news contact at the top of my priority list
Television
Entertainment: 12.3 hours (Data form 3) of my time was spent watching
television shows/ movies of my choice. I found over the 10 day log period I
didn’t get a lot of time to do this so would only watch short programs on a
study or work break. Larger time accumulation was because I went to the movies
on the 10th day. (Data form 2 shows time spike)
Facebook: I was
only on Facebook for 4.08 hours over the 10 day period because, for me,
Facebook is purely a means for contact purposes, rather than browsing and entertainment.
This behaviour is much unlike 43% of the Jour1111 students who devoted most of
their online time to Facebook (Survey Information). The reason this time is
perhaps so limited might also be because unlike a high percentage of the
Jour1111 population (81.2% - Survey Information) I don’t have a smart phone and
cannot regularly access Facebook.
Internet Shopping: I
devoted 3.08 browsing fashion websites and internet shopping over the 10 day
period, primarily because I’ve been waiting on an order to be delivered and was
tracking it through the fashion website. I also found that rather than bring up
Facebook or a social media platform I would check out latest fashions as a form
of procrastination whilst studying. Being an ex-fashion student, I think this reflects
my still prominent passion for the fashion industry and shows that fashion is something I like to keep
up-to-date with.
Twitter: I only
activated twitter for the first time on Day 6 (Much like 101 of my fellow Jour1111 students who activated twitter for the first time in this course-
Survey information) as it was a requirement for this course, and found myself
going on it daily after that to try and work out the grand world of twitter. The
time spent on this media will most likely become greater overtime as I use it
for the course and also as a source for retrieving news etc.
Email: Email
usage is more of a necessity thing than anything; I check my emails almost
daily for contact and important information purposes.
Phone Calls: As I
am more likely to text I tended not to make or take many calls during the 10
day period. I was only on the phone for 4.05hours during the 10 days, and these
calls were generally work or family related. I did notice however that
production did increase on a weekend if I was planning to go out. An example of
this peak production would be on day 10 (Data form 1)
Texting: As noted
before, I prefer to text as it is much more time efficient and I can be contacting
multiple people at once, it is also the means of communication I find the least
imposing on my busy schedule. During the 10 day period my texting production
was 122. (Data form 1)
To Note: I worked off an average 1 minute to read and 1
minute to reply basis when it came to texting, as it was difficult to record
every single text.
Radio: My Radio
use directly coincides with the travel time in my car. Of the 10 days, I
travelled 8 days over 2 hours (travelling to and from work and Uni). This
explains production use as I was generally getting in my car and turning the
radio on twice a day on the way to my destination and then home again.
Evidently listening to the radio was one of my most consistent and prevalent
news and current affair sources, as well as an intertwined source for entertainment
(Listening to Nova 106.9)
ITunes: This was
used fairly irregularly as I don’t use my iPod much anymore (opting to listen
to the radio instead) therefore when I did use iTunes it was more to update iPod
software.
Uq Website and Online
News: I visited these websites rather frequently due to the fact we have
returned to the uni semester and it is imperative to keep checking these sites
for course updates and study ect. This activity is very much a date conscious
form of activity. Assuming that if I were to repeat this exercise in 6 months
time after the conclusion of this semester, use and production of this media
would probably be close to nill.
Work Computer: I
work in retail and process all sales, emails and clothing transfers over the
computer, in saying this, most of my work time is spent selling products on the
store floor, so it was a little difficult to log exact computer usage.
Therefore I used an estimation system after every shift. The work computer
records a personal record of sales and I timed that by average sale time (as
suggested and estimated by the company) which is 3minutes per sale. (Production
x 3=minutes)
Overall this exercise really goes to show how quickly time
adds up and how media is so central to our lives. Of the 240 hours this 10 day
logged spanned, 82.15 hours (Data form 3) were spent using a form of media. (that’s
more than a quarter of my time!) Most of my time (41.25 hours-Data form 3)
was devoted to listening/viewing news and current affairs over the media forms of
television, radio and the internet. Staying up-to-date and in touch with
current affairs is obviously a huge priority in my day to day life, therefore
you could say I have an extremely strong bond with the broad world of
journalism and communication. I am mostly subject to communication of the
masses (listening to the radio and news) rather than receiving information
through, group or interpersonal communication (phone calls, texts, Facebook). It
is important to note that during the 10 day period I did not touch any
form of paper media (newspapers, magazines) so I'd classy myself more of a
technology prone journalist/communicator. This might become problematic as I could
only be exposing myself to hyper sensationalised broad data. In future I will
try to rectify this by picking up the paper like 'The Australian' and having a read,
particularly focusing on politics, specialised columnists and niche news to
broaden my news exposure further, also now that I'm involved with Twitter I should be exposed to much more discussion and breaking down of news to greater improve my understanding of whats really going on in the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment