Monday, 17 September 2012

Returning Items

Refunds for faulty goods
For the first time ever this weekend, I returned an item I'd brought because it was faulty. It was a $100 AUD handbag and the zip was busted. After umming and arrring about returning it because I had to then find time in my schedule to drive (between the 14 day returning window) all the way back to the store to return it I decided it was too much money for me (just a part time worker and uni student) to throw away. Thankfully the lady at the counter of the store I returned the handbag to tags attached was very apologetic and without question issued me a new bag, but it got me thinking...How much money is thrown away every year in faulty items that don't get returned to stores, for either losing tags, not being able to return it in the designated time bracket, fear of rejection or it all just being "too hard"

Upon a little bit of research I found that in Australia, generally, customers do not have automatic right to return goods and receive a refund. However, customers can return goods and receive a refund if:
  • the customer was tricked into buying the item (eg if you buy something because the seller tells you it is brand new, then you learn that it is second hand);
  • the goods were defective and the buyer was not aware of this defect at the time of purchase;
  • the goods are not of ‘merchantable quality’ (i.e. basic level of quality and performance expected for the price paid and description given); or
  • the goods do not do what the customer was led to believe they would do; or
  • the goods do not match the description or sample provided during ordering.
Customers may also claim compensation for loss or damages caused by faulty goods.

I was hoping to provide fabulous statistics about the amount of money lost annually in faulty, non-returned items but of course people don't return these products so the issue has been unreported!  Perhaps this is a potential story to take up when I get the chance and broaden my Journalism skills, I think the findings might be surprizing..For now though, if you're reading this I'd like to hear about your returning stories, whether they were pleasant or not or if you've just decided there are too many hoops to jump through and it's not worth the hassle..

No comments:

Post a Comment